"What Are We Learning About Today, Bob?"

My New Love Speaks Marathi (Part 3)

So, as I learned more about Inida and how vast and diverse it is, I became enthralled. I began reading about non-movie news every day. I found, as more and more Americans seem to be, that India has this fascinating diversity that co-exists somehow. The conundrum seems to be that there are vast numbers of lower class and poverty stricken people whose numbers are getting larger and a higher class that seems to be getting smaller. The middle classes are struggling to emerge and define themselves. It seems they don't know how to resolve the poverty they see with the affluent life they think they want.


I wanted to understand what was going on more. I also developed an urge to help people there see that they can rise above where they were. I realized that it would be much easier by learning Hindi. Each Indian state or region also has it's own language. Since I want to go to Mumbai and Pune the most, I decided I also want to learn Marathi, which is what is spoken in Marharashtra.


I also decided to focus on Maharashtra because, even though there is so much work that could be done throughout the rest of the country, I would quickly become overwhelmed. (My brain needs something to focus on or it will focus on nothing.) There is so much facing that area right now, BUT there are so many who want to make life in Mumbai better for everyone!


So, how to get there? Well, like I said, language is important. I finally found a teacher in Rancho Cordova that can teach me Hindi and Marathi. I start in a few weeks and am very excited about it. I decided to also present a paper at a symposium at my school in March. It will be on the Jan Lokpal Bill which was recently introduced to the congress there. It is an anti-corruption bill that they have trouble getting passed. It's no too much of a surprise since India has often been found to be the one of the most corrupt countries. Although, per the list I liked here, it's better than it was; but for being the world's largest democracy, it's not doing too hot.


I guess there are a few reasons I want to go to India at this point. I am going to observe. I am going to serve. I am going to have fun. I am going to learn. I am going to connect with humans that are more worried about feeding their kids then posting on Facebook. Maybe I'll even get to help teach kids, which is something that will definitely keep India looking up! There are so many groups there working to help India rise above. I think I will have a hard time deciding where to start when I am ready.


So, that's the direction I am headed in. Not sure of all the steps yet or what the final product will look like. I need to focus on school and language right now. Challo!

1 comment:

  1. that's funny, i'm learning sanskrit=) i wish you joy on your journey, Amy!

    ReplyDelete

Official PayPal Seal